I am always a strickler for principles. That’s one of the few streaks I have inherited from my mom. I follow them and insist my kids follow those rules too. I keep reiterating these thoughts so that they are ingrained in them. I thought to share a few of them here, for you to ponder.
- Make a choice, always stand by it.(As much as my kids get a freehand to choose, I would always insist that they stand by their choices till the end, without wavering.)
- If you ever make a mistake, own it. (I would never cover for their mistakes and they know it.)
- Never expect Instant Gratification. It would never be ‘If I want it, I want it now’, in your case. (Believe me, if they understand and practice it young, it would help them in the long run.)
- Be good, even when no one is watching you. You should be your best critic, always and when you’re about to do something undesirable, it is your own instinct that shouldn’t allow you to proceed further, once you condition yourself to practice integrity.
- Never lie. It is okay even if you are getting punished, but never hesitate to speak the truth. Honesty is the best virtue.
So, what are the principles you stick by?
For Three Things Challenge #391
Cover, Choice, Instant
FOWC with Fandango: Ponder